Monday, September 15, 2014

Swim

I have a confession to make. I don't like to swim. I have never liked swimming. The thought of swimming 1500 metres makes me more than a little ill.  So, when a friend asked if I wanted to join Masters Swimming with her I really wanted to say no. Of course I already signed up for the race so I said yes.

On Friday it was off to the triathlon store (yes they exist) to buy a swim suit, goggles, swim cap, flippers, and hand paddles.  Being new to swimming I didn't realize I would need so much stuff! Saturday I registered for the class and today was the first day.

I was kind of hoping that even though I really do not like to swim that once I was in the water I would realize that I actually do enjoy swimming.  Nope, it was way harder than I thought.  I mean of course I new it would be but oh boy!  The thought crossed my mind that I may drown.  I also thought no one would notice if I just got out and left.  But knowing that I need to swim in the race I thought it was better to keep going.

By the end of the lesson I was sore, tired, and had swallowed a fair amount of pool water.  I realized I am just as bad at swimming as I thought (maybe even worse) but also that I am capable of learning how to improve.  All of the people I met were encouraging and helpful.  No one asked me what I thought I was doing there, and more than one person mentioned that they had felt like they might drown the first day.  The coach was really nice and she took the time to direct me and give me drills that were at my level.

I am looking forward to seeing how much I improve over the next six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment