Thursday, October 2, 2014

Lessons

It has been awhile since I posted but I have continued to work on training.  I have also learned a couple of lessons.

1.  It is important to know your limits.

A couple weeks ago I trained four days in a row.  Swim Monday, run Tuesday, swim Wednesday run Thursday.  Coming home from my run on the Thursday I felt great.  It was the most training I had done in a lot of years.  About an hour after getting home my left leg started to cramp in a couple spots.  I tried to convince myself it was nothing but I also know that in 2005 when I trained for the Victoria half that I had injured my left hamstring.  After thinking it through I realized I have six months to train and also learning a new sport.  There is no reason to push hard at the beginning only to cause injury.  So, I am trying to train smart.  Swim Monday and Wednesday, run Friday and maybe an easy bike ride on Saturday.

2.  Don't underestimate the importance of a team

Swimming is hard.  Did I mention I am not a swimmer and have never enjoyed swimming?  So, swimming is hard.  But, as someone wise said to me "It is supposed to be hard."  I am learning a new sport.  My body is adjusting and there is a lot to remember.  I can not imagine doing this without the Masters Swimming group.  They are my team right now.  Every class they encourage me to keep going, to try my best, and to do as much as I can.  The coach is also great.  She has been modifying my workout to improve my swimming and has mentioned that she has already seen a big improvement.  I may still have to stop at each end of the pool but at least I am still going.  I doubt I would have lasted 10 minutes just jumping in the pool and trying to swim without some sort of team.
One last thing - I bought a road bike!  So, expect some hilarious stories about how well I do with clip in shoes/pedals.


No comments:

Post a Comment