Monday, January 5, 2015

Why

Lately I have been spending a lot of time asking myself why. More specifically her are all of the thoughts rattling around in my head:

-Why in the world am I doing this?
-Am I crazy?
-Can I even finish?
-Will I ever get any faster in the pool?
-Will I be able to raise the money or will I end up having to pay for my trip and my fundraising commitment?

I was talking to a friend about this and she asked me to answer one of these questions for her. She wanted me to remind her, (and myself) why I signed up in the first place.

Why did I sign up? There are a few reasons. The superficial ones are that I want to get in shape. I see 40 looming on the horizon and want to be in better shape by my birthday. I want my girls to see me active. I want them to know that it is OK to try something new. Something you might not enjoy (cough cough, swimming). Something that is really hard for you (still swimming). That if you want to get better at something you need to work hard, and then work harder.

That is the why of racing. Why sign up for this specific race? Why Team in Training? There are any number of other things I could have signed up for. This is the answer that I need to remember. I think about all of the people in my life who have struggled with or are currently struggling with cancer. People who have lost children, spouses, family, friends. People who have survived and now continue praying for health. All of these people inspire me. There is so much pain, sorrow, love, and even joy in their stories. I am inspired but also at a loss as to how to help. What could I possibly say or do that would be of use? Not much. BUT I can raise money. Money that will go to patient care, research, and family support.

That is why I signed up and that is what I need to remember. The rest will follow along.

12 weeks to go!!

**Please consider donating on my fundraising page. Every donation brings me closer to my goal. Just click the donate here link on the top right of the page.***


No comments:

Post a Comment